View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 10:15 PM   #99
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Rep. Chris Van Hollen and Sen. Chuck Schumer are planning to introduce legislation in both chambers next week to blunt the effect of the Citizens United case.
According to the summary, obtained by The Washington Post, the legislation would require corporate chief executives or group leaders to publicly attach their names to ads, much like political candidates are required to do. It would also mandate disclosure of major donors whose money is used for "campaign-related activity."

The latter measure would require powerful trade groups such as the U.S. Chamber of Commerce for the first time to identify the companies that fund its political-related spending.

The measure would also tighten political restrictions on foreign-based corporations, which would be defined as any company that has 20 percent foreign voting shares, a majority of foreign directors or a foreign national leading U.S. operations. If enacted into law, that provision could affect a significant number of familiar companies, including Budweiser, T-Mobile and Research in Motion.

Other provisions would mandate public disclosure of political spending and would bar companies that receive federal contracts worth more than $50,000 from spending money to influence federal elections, the summary says.

American actually are pretty angry, and still hate the Citizens United decision. Really hate it. You don't see 79% majorities on much these days.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 04-24-2010 at 10:15 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote