View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 02:38 PM   #20
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I don't disagree with you, but I just find it funny that Reagan is essentially doing what Obama is doing to get the economy back on track (spend a shitload of money). He raised taxes for everyone by >7% and caused a gigantic deficit that we are still paying back. He also left H.W. with a steaming pile of shit.

I guess I'm just taken by the revisionist history we have on Presidents. Carter was a huge liberal despite having a more conservative economic policy than Reagan. While Democrats seem to gloat about Clinton who was actually quite conservative with his economic policies. The two icons of each side basically did the opposite of what their followers feel is right.

Carter transcended party affiliation with his ineptitude. He was less inspiring than HW Bush and didn't have a glorious foreign policy track record to give him a fighting chance...basically, after 4 years, he had nothing to show for except blunders and failures and distress. I guess you could blame it on his liberalism, but he just made bad choices or no choices at all when America needed somebody to make choices. Along came Ronald Reagan and was the hero for saying the things that had to be said and doing the things that had to be done. Much of Reagan's successful legacy is emphasized by those who could more clearly remember President Carter's days in office.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote