View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 07:59 AM   #3
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Well, first of all, the second post where you had the quote that macs do not get viruses is completely false. There are known viruses for macs, unix, smart phones, etc. It is less common that macs get viruses primarily because less are written for macs. There still are some that exist, and it is possible there could be more in the future.

That said, I do not know all of the mac viruses that are out there, I don't really take much interest in mac viruses because I don't really use them regularly (Only use them when looking at mac specific network enhancements for my company). I do know the majority of mac viruses require some user intervention though (The traditional pop up message saying your whatever software is out of date, please download and install this one instead --- where you then install a virus unknowingly onto your mac).

The most recent mac virus I remember off the top of my head is a dns changer. I do recall the type of virus you refer to for PC many times, but not sure if MAC has had one like it.

It is possible someone did hack her gmail account password and then use some other program to send mail from her gmail account and the sent messages would not show up. You could probably learn something if you look at the message header of the sent emails. it should tell you how the mail was sent most likely and help you narrow down where the problem occured.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote