View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010, 01:34 PM   #46
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Just sold my house privately 3 weeks ago, so I sympathize with the amount of stress you are probably feeling right about now.

The first showing I had the guy wanted to verbally negotiate the price and I told him that would be fine but that I needed to confer with my wife (who was out entertaining the kids) before I accepted anything and that it needed to be in writing and reviewed by my lawyer before anything was signed and official. He agreed and we got to a price he was comfortable with and one that I was comfortable with. I gave him the paperwork to start filling out while I called my wife to make sure we agreed that the number was good enough for us so we weren't wasting his time...it was. He said he had to go but would get the paperwork filled out and get it to me the following day. Never heard from him again. Called him at the number he gave me, left a message, but he never called back.

No biggie...had a signed offer and deposit cheque in hand the following evening from another couple. We gave them a week and a half to clear their conditions (financing and inspection) but I still continued to show the house just in case the deal fell through for whatever reason. I was up front with our potential buyers and told them I would be showing the house for the simple fact that I needed to sell it and if they couldn't get their ducks in a row then we weren't going to turn other potential buyers away until the deal was legit. They didn't appear to be offended and nor would I be offended if I were in their position.

Everything is done now but there is nothing stopping them from backing out of the deal before the closing date (a month from now), for whatever reason, except for they would lose their deposit and also incur a whole bunch of legal costs. If that were to happen, you can bet I have a dozen or so potential buyers' contact info who saw the house during that week and half while we waited for conditions to clear just in case it fell through. Hopefully I won't ever have to dig up that list.

Good luck!
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote