View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 02:49 PM   #55
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Real thistle seed is the best way to go to feel like you're getting something from the effort. (Not cheap mixes of same... but the real stuff, all black seeds, labeled either as thistle or more recently nyjer/niger) In pretty short order, you ought to see bright yellow goldfinches (and a few reddish house finches) hanging around, and that's far better eye candy than most.

Yup. We started with just a fly through feeder with black sunflower seeds. That got the mocking birds mostly. Went to a mix, get mocking birds, house finches, and grackles mostly - but we have seen Cowbirds. Then we put in a finch feader with nyjer and we've seen a gold finch or two in the week it's been up. They're nicely positioned to see out a bay window where our kitchenette is and we sit at our table there to eat and watch the birds.

This was all triggered by the Robin that made a nest on our deck last year that I told you about. Trying to encourage that happening again, etc. The neighbors have a bluebird couple that use a house in their yard, so we may try the mealworms at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote