View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 05:27 PM   #77
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
No, he's a great Quarterback. That's why the Steelers consistently can come back in the 4th quarter - 22 4th quarter comebacks in 6 years isn't a fluke. Game managers don't do that. Find me another "game manager" in NFL history that has that many comebacks, that many wins, Super Bowl titles and the statistics. I'll be waiting.

You've made it quite clear on this board that you hate any statistic created after the 1970s so I know heading into this post that this is useless to even attempt.

QB rating is a terrible stat. I ask you to post the components of that stat and explain to me exactly how it's better than a stat that rates a player on a per-play basis adjusted for opponent.

As for where Ben stands among other QBs, Manning, Brees, Rivers, and Brady are on another level. Ben isn't in the ballpark of those 4. After that, if we're talking about one season you could make an arguement that Ben is that 5th QB, but you can easily make a case for Rodgers and Eli Manning. If you want to stretch that into who I'd want running a team for the next 5 years I'd put Flacco and Matt Ryan over Big Ben.

Those that are singing Ben's praises are conveniently forgetting to mention that he didn't attempt 300 passes his first 2 years in the league, in '06 he had 18tds, 23ints, and was sacked 47 times. In '08 he had 17tds, 15ints, and was sacked 46 times. Ben has not consistently been a good QB. I have very hard time accepting him as a great QB.

Roethlisberger has played in nearly ideal conditions for a QB. He's part of one of the 2-3 best organizations in the NFL. He's consistently played on a team with defenses that have ranged from very good to great. He's had a good running game every year except for '08. He's also played with a very good receiver (2 last season) and a very good pass catching tight end.

4th quarter comebacks are all nice and everything, but Drew Bledsoe had 32 in his career. Are you going to tell me that having a good coach, good running game, good receivers, and a great defense don't play just as large of a role in 4th quarter comebacks as the QB?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote