View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 09:07 PM   #43
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Will take that over sugar anyday.

Me too. At least if you have normal blood pressure.

Shaking Up Conventional Thinking About Sodium and Hypertension | ThirdAge Articles

Quote:
The advice that people with high blood pressure reduce their sodium intake has never really been in dispute. But somewhere along the way, the distinctions between prevention and treatment grew blurry. In what is now considered the origin of the "sodium hypothesis," Dr. Lewis K. Dahl theorized that there was a direct correlation between the sodium intake of a population and the subsequent development of hypertension. As the result of well-placed advocacy efforts, physicians suddenly began prescribing low-salt diets for all their patients, not just those with documented high blood pressure.

Over time, the sodium hypothesis grew to mammoth proportions and was accepted as fact. In the 1970s and 1980s, however, skepticism began to inch forward with the realization that the assumptions about sodium and hypertension were not supported by scientific evidence.

I'm not saying you should add salt willy-nilly to foods - certainly not if you already have hypertension - but I don't think 1500mg on occasion will kill you.

Personally, I'd worry about these just as much if not more:

Quote:
What Causes High Blood Pressure?

The exact causes of high blood pressure are not known. Several factors and conditions may play a role in its development, including:

* Smoking
* Being overweight or obese
* Lack of physical activity
* Too much salt in the diet
* Too much alcohol consumption (more than 1 to 2 drinks per day)
* Stress
* Older age
* Genetics
* Family history of high blood pressure
* Chronic kidney disease
* Adrenal and thyroid disorders

Causes of High Blood Pressure

I'd guess that many salty foods also tend to be fatty, which doesn't help with the second bullet point there.