View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 03:15 PM   #1484
Travis
Pro Rookie

Don't be so sure of that really. Penner took a step forward this year (significant because of Hemsky being hurt, so the hope is that the two of them give Edmonton a true first line next year) and they have a couple of top 6 type LW in the system (Linus Omark and Magnus Paajarvi Svensson). Omark is an outlier, but MPS (fingers crossed) should be a top 6 type.

In the middle they've got Sam Gagner and not much else. Personally I'm still not sold on Gagner ever being more than a second line player but he does have time on his side. I'd like to see Gilbert Brule get a prolonged look in the middle next year (played well in stints with Penner, but between a lot of usage on the wings and a couple bouts of illness, his time in the middle was abbreviated at best), but there's not a lot in the pipeline as far as centers go.

Hemsky and Eberle are likely the top 2 RW on the team going forward (whether Eberle arrives next season or the one following remains to be seen) and there is always a chance Gagner finds himself over here (if/when Hemsky is no longer with the team) if he can't continue to improve on the dot.

Long story short, the need for center's in Edmonton is pretty ridiculous. If the difference between Hall/Seguin is as small as the scouts seem to say it is, hard not to believe that the position won't factor in as a possible tie breaker.

Last edited by Travis : 04-14-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote