View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 05:51 AM   #1456
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Can any point guard shut another down under the current rules?

It's really hard to judge PG defense right now because the rules allow quick guards to penetrate rather easily. Rondo holds opposing PGs to an average of 10% below their normal production. If you combine that with the turnovers he generates and you'll have a hard time naming a better defender at the position.
I agree. I have no problem saying he's one of the best defensive PG's in the game. I wish Rose would adapt that ability to create turnovers on the defensive end like Rondo has.

I'm just saying the Defensive Player of the Year talk is pure nonsense. There is no PG who should be mentioned in that field because they can't make that kind of an impact on the game. It's akin to putting a TE in the discussion for MVP. It's just not a position that should be in that discussion.

The race this year should be between Gerald Wallace and Dwight Howard. Howard gets it because I don't think anyone in the league forces a team to change their gameplan more than he does. One sleeper who no one talks about is Josh Smith who is probably the most underated player in the league.

Rondo is 4th on my list of guys guarding point guards. I consider a healthy Paul a more refined version of Rondo who gets steals but doesn't take the same amount of risks. George Hill is a hell of a defender one-on-one and I'd even put little Kyle Lowry on the list. Maybe I just keep catching Lowry on the right nights, but he always seems to be causing havoc defensively. In fact that whole Rockets team seems to take a ridiculous amount of charges.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote