View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 10:53 PM   #32
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
That team isn't completely barren. There were rumblings McNabb almost went to STL for the 2.1. I understand in this scenario they wouldn't have the 1.1 to draft Suh, but put those two players on the Rams and they are immediately a contender to win the NFC West. Add in a couple decent FA signings, and there's no reason they couldn't win a couple playoff games.

This is incorrect. Trust me I have watched every single Rams game since they came to St. Louis. The cupboard in St. Louis is quite bare.

Pairing up a good QB to go along with Steven Jackson would obviously make them better, but they are super thin at WR. Donnie Avery has shown a little promise, and playing with Bulger has not done him any favors, but he is not a real #1 wideout. After Avery you have the legion of "upside" guys who there is no real reason to believe they are going to turn into more than #3 or #4 type guys. Robinson, Burton, Gibson, etc all have shown minor flashes (you can argue Robinson has done more than that, but I wasn't as in love with him as the rest of the city was when he went down last year). Danny Amendola caught 43 balls last year. That should be proof enough how thin they are.

As you said the offensive line certainly has issues and the defense is awful. Again the fact that they were very happy re-sign James Hall, who is average at best, is awful telling.

I wish you were right and they were not as far away as they are, but that just isn't the case. Adding McNabb and Suh would not make them a playoff contender this year even in the West. I don;t agree that they are light years away either, as that just isn't the nature of the NFL. Teams are able to turn it around quickly all the time, and I am not even saying doing something like making the move for McNabb when he was out there wouldn't have been the best course. It just wouldn't have been enough for them to compete this year.