View Single Post
Old 04-11-2010, 01:53 PM   #34
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlerock View Post
I was really scared about the possibility of some sort of attachment disorder. It can tear a family apart.

But what they did is unforgivable. For both the boy and the thousands of other lives that will be greatly affected by this action.

I wonder if you read any of the work of one of my main mentors, Charles Zeanah. He is one of the world experts on Reactive Attachment Disorder and has done a ton of work with adoptive parents and kids in orphanages in Romania. Any parent who is adopting has to be ready for severe attachment disorders like you said, it doesn't always occur, but it is a significant risk of being raised during the first 9-18 months of life without a stable parental figure. Like you said, any parent who is adopting should be ready to get professional help if needed to help their child adjust to the new environment and family.

Our US adoption system is one of the most f'd up things I see with even horrible parents getting their kids back from some good loving foster families. Furthermore, I see too many parents who just want to give their adopted kids up when it doesn't work out like they expected (of course, there is selection bias as I see mostly the worst kids/parents) Anyone who goes through adoption and works to make it a good situation has my admiration. I agree with you, this family has done irreparable harm to this kid and many other people who would want to adopt children from Russia.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote