View Single Post
Old 04-11-2010, 01:18 PM   #32
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I don't think you have to assume they're lying, but you do need to be ready for far from ideal circumstances. When we got the first medical report on your daughter her head circumference was very low for her age. The orphanage had assured us that she was developmentally normal, but that number was a big worry to us. We weren't going to cancel the adoption, but we did talk to an adoption expert at Johns Hopkins and made some preliminary arrangements for what we would do if there were developmental issues.

For me it's about being prepared, especially if you're getting an older child. For many everything will work out fine and the transition and bondage issues will be manageable. For some, though, it's much more difficult and it's impossible to know what's coming your way until you are alone with the child. As I said above, if you can't handle anything but an ideal adoption, you should reexamine if you're ready.