View Single Post
Old 04-11-2010, 08:42 AM   #24
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
How can a country with such a terrible human rights record be all worked up over a kid traveling on a plane alone? What's Russia's angle here?
Well, it's a lot more than a kid traveling alone on an airplane. His parents abandoned him. You cannot do that to your child. They put him an an airplane and paid some guy $200 to pick him up at the airport and deliver him to the Russian ministry. If things get tough, you get help. As a parent, you cannot give up. Ever. It is your responsibility to fight for your child not send him alone across the ocean on a one way ticket.

In addition to my last post, Russia also feels powerless to make sure these kids are well cared for once they leave the country.

As soon as I heard this story, I knew things could get real bad. And Torry Hansen had to have known this. There is no way she could have gone through this process and not know this. If I fail to file one of the 3 annual reports to Russia, all adoptions performed by my entire agency are at risk because Russia can (and has) suspended agencies for this.

I hope she faces criminal charges for what she did to this boy. And I hope/wish there is some way for her to be held account for all the misery her actions will cause to thousands more.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote