View Single Post
Old 04-11-2010, 08:18 AM   #23
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgran View Post
I would say there are 3 forces in play here: politics, politics and politics
I would add a fourth: politics, politics, national pride, and politics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I don't know about Russia, but in China there is a strong faction that would like to close off international adoption because they believe it is beneath the status of China. If the same is true in Russia this is just enough to allow that faction to get what they want.

Castlerock would know better about Russia, though.
International Adoption is not popular in any country that practices it. You are admitting that you cannot care for your children. I guarantee that if the US did international adoptions, there would be a very vocal group that would be against it. Russians don't like they are sending their citizens to go become American, Spanish, etc. I think these reasons apply to all countries, not just Russia.

Russia is also experiencing a population decline so sending children to other countries doesn't help.

The media in Russia is wildly sensational. More so than the US. This is front page news and will be every day for weeks. There have been several cases of Russian adoptees being harmed by their adoptive families in the last several years. Every one is front page news for weeks. I think the average Russian believes that a *great* many adopted kids end up abused in America. It is simply not true but they only hear the negative because it is sensational. There are politicians who will use this for political gain.

It is sad but some people would rather see a child grow up alone in an orphanage and then turned out on the street to a bleak future than allow them to be adopted into a loving family if that means leaving the country.

Last edited by Castlerock : 04-11-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote