View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 06:47 PM   #90
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
???

From the article (I didn't read the .pdf's on the three girls, maybe there's more there) I didn't see anything out of the ordinary for HS level bullying.

Threatened, got called out for her sexual behavior with name calling, threatened some more, something got thrown at her I think. No mention of lethal weapons, property damage, etc., and even those aren't all that uncommon in my experience if there's a long-term target.

What did I miss that would be remarkably worse than the standard bullying at this age group.

NOTE: None of those questions have anything to do with blaming the victim, excusing the bullies, or anything else. I'm just curious what rowech saw that struck him as being so much worse than garden variety bullying, whether I missed something(s) or if what I would consider baseline bullying in this age group is more intense than his expectations for "average"

I guess I work in a different district. Things like this happen on a daily basis but are typically a one or two day thing and then they end. Perhaps it's the demographics with which I work compared to this district. Perhaps it's the fact that our district sees kids start in kindergarten with each other and continue at the same schools throughout their lives so that each class of kids forms a really tight knit group of kids. I'm not sure. Perhaps what we see more of is harassment than true bullying.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote