View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 10:59 PM   #4
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainRaven View Post
My wife has a Sony Vaio computer that is just over a year old that has Vista. It has worked well but for about the last three weeks it is acting up. Every other day or so while she is on it (always plugged in) for a varying amount of time it will just shut down. No warning, no error messages just basically turns off. The computer sometimes can be on for 10 minutes or hours and I check it for heat but that cannot be it as it is cool as anything. I turn it back on and sometimes it will load up normally and sometimes as it is starting up again it will shut itself down again suddenly as it is going through the process. After a few attempts it will eventually get back to the actual windows screen and work normally until the next shut down a day later or two. I have run a virus scan and it didn't come back with any issues or spyware. I also took it to Geek squad since we have the two year protection plan on it, they blamed it on heat and dust but since it is still doing it that can't be true.

If anyone has any ideas please share, she is going crazy.

Unfortunately, this could be caused by a number of problems and it's hard to pinpoint exactly what the cause is without a lot of trial and error.

The first things that pop into my mind are faulty hard drive or bad windows install. However, just about any piece of hardware in the laptop could be causing it to randomly shut down. I'd suggest a reformat to see if it fixes it. If that doesn't fix it and it's not caused by overheating you're it's almost certain to be a piece of hardware and, as I said above, I'd start with the hard drive.

Last edited by Atocep : 04-09-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote