View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 08:06 AM   #75
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOhioStateUniversity View Post
Rowech I'm not sure I agree with your assertion that many bullies are on behavior IEPs. To qualify for classification as emotionally disturbed for special education a child would have to exhibit fairly severe behaviors and would likely only be mainstreamed with typically peers for a portion of the day. Particularly in the case of females who exhibit more relational aggression and bullying; I would argue that only a small minority of them have an IEP, and even fewer have a behavior IEP. Often these are the popular and seemingly successful members of the school population.

It isn't often that I get to do this, so I won't pass up the opportunity to post my agreement with tOSU on this post.

There have been bullies -- easily identifiable ones, no borderline cases, no close calls, textbook examples -- for each of the 8 years I've had a kid in school (IEP's didn't exist as such back in the olden days of my school years). There's been only one with an IEP case involving one of those & while anecdotal, given that I'm talking about three different schools with different approaches to IEP's & given additional experiences with how difficult schools make it to even work with an IEP, I'm very hard pressed to think there's anywhere near a significant percentage who have them. "Many" might be true in raw numbers, you could probably gin up a four or five digit number worth, but in terms of percentages that's a drop in the bucket.