View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 08:57 PM   #71
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Here's a reasonably common response, written by a former teacher (commenting online on a recent local story about a county school system looking to tighten its bullying rules)

I remember reporting a clear case of bulling/sexual intimidation/sexual harassment to a school administrator who has gone on to bigger things at CCSD. Racial epithets, sexually derogatory terms, threatened physical/sexual violence --- looked like bullying to me-- all very precisely documented.

I was advised by said administrator that due to her "open door" policy, bullying did not exist in her school. I was told that I had obviously overreacted and misunderstood the "context" of what was happening, and that I was culturally insensitive and bigoted. I responded in somewhat more direct terms than what I'm putting here that in my humble opinion, a repeated threat to commit forcible anal rape transcended cultural lines as a threat. But I could be wrong about that.

Anyway, upshot was I was told that I should tear up my referral/report, I responded that state law required me to report the incident, and so it came to pass that I was invited to not come back.
My ex who was a teacher seemed to state the same thing. Although she would point out that the administrators were more scared of students suing the school or causing problems legally for them that they never really punished anyone. The minute you punished a bully their parents came out guns a blazin threatening the school because of course their child is a perfect angel.

Perhaps it's time we started to hold these administrators criminally responsible for these incidents if they had prior knowledge.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote