View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #12
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
This has been all over the news and didn't see it posted here. I know there are a few of you who work in the educational system and I'd really be interested in your thoughts. They seem to be just torching the Principal, teachers, and superintendent.

ically sociopathic shitbags trying to find their place on the social pyramid. Not sure if you can ever stop bullying as it impacts free speech and other civil rights.

On the other hand, these are kids. They don't have the same rights as us and for good reason. So why shouldn't there be laws against it? Why shouldn't every kid be given the chance to attend school without being in fear or having their self-esteem destroyed? How many kids have their futures altered by bullies?

I did a paper on Bullying and it's role in depression and suicide a few years ago when I was still in academics. At that time 7 states did have "no tolerance" laws for bullying and any observed bullying could lead to immediate expulsion and was supposed to result in an immediate suspension at the least. I don't know if that number has expanded, but I'm curious enough to check it out when I have time. Bullying is a factor in teen (and pre-teen) depression and suicide and it most certainly is not protected by free speech, same as you can't just yell out fire in a crowded theater if there is no fire.

Regardless of whether or not that state had any such laws against bullying, if teachers and principals were aware of it and did nothing while it occurred on school property, I hope they get hit with more than just some verbal torching.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote