View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 09:44 AM   #10
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOhioStateUniversity View Post
These measures attempt to create an environment where the vile nature of bullying is fully understood by the children from kindergarten on and is not tolerated by anyone in the building due to a mutually agreed upon code of conduct.

I added the italicized text after having seen two schools that were rather intense about the whole "kind language" environmental approach. And in both cases, bullies remained just as much a part of the school day as they were back in my day , the only difference was in how subtle they were when there were adults right in the middle of them.

As I told my son on more than one occasion (when he wished for the absence of one prick or another), "nature abhors a vacuum, if it wasn't for Bully X then Bully Y would emerge".

Not defending the bully culture in the slightest (I'm about the last guy on earth you'll find doing that after my own experiences 30+ years ago), just pointing out that any solution is going to likely need to be multi-faceted.