View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 07:30 AM   #23
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I call up Visa and tell them they should contact the cardholder because it appears their number has been stolen and they say "oh well, nothing we can do about it". So if your card ever gets hit and it causes some hassle, just know that a helpful vendor may have called up to stop it sooner and they told them to fuck off.

Yes, I've had that happen. It became obvious someone ordering a game was not the cc holder, By that time I already had the cc number and the delivery address (mail order). I phoned the cc company. Was punted around 5/6 departments. No one wanted to know. One guy even said "the card holder will let us know if his card is misused". Nothing whatsoever was done.

Key loggers. Does anyone know if these merely monitor key presses or if they log the information as it's sent down the line?

The reason I ask is that I always fill in the cc number online in a random order and use the mouse to click into the number for my next entry.

For example: the number 123

I put in say the 3 then click with the mouse before the three and put in the 1 and then click between the two to put in the 2.

That means the key sequence is 312 not 123. So if the key sequence is monitored then it will be wrong. If the number is detected as it's sent then it will be detected correctly.

With a 16 character number you can create considerable confusion and it is recognised for the correct number by the web site.

Am I kidding myself in thinking I'm defeating a possible key logger with ths technique? Anyone know enough about key loggers to know?
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote