View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010, 07:03 AM   #6
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Kristin, I am a network engineer for a living and have at times implemented several different flavors of VPN solutions (nortel, Juniper, cisco, microsoft, checkpoint, etc). It has been a while since I've done much with the Cisco VPn solution however, but your problem does sound to be vpn client related.

Many vpn clients (Cisco used to be the same way) pretty much requires the VPN adapter to exist on top of all other adapters and any changes to the tcp/ip stack on that system or to the networking configuration of that system often required a full uninstall and re-install of the client to get it to function properly.

It sounds like you did that without much luck. Usually the next steps would be to find the cisco debug log from the vpn session attempt. I think I recall cisco having debug mode be something that could be turned on or off, and i don't remember if it is on by default. At that point though your company's tech support really should be able to help troubleshoot this for you. If they can't fix their own IT product, that is bad since I would assume that is their job. Generally if they only use it as a solution and are not familiar in troubleshooting it, they should at least be able to open support cases with Cisco TAC to help troubleshoot further as well.

Sorry I'm not much help, but vpn issues often are frustrating to troubleshoot.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote