View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
My brother and I both subscribe to a lot of magazines, and one of my big complaints about Men's / outdoors magazines is that even when they claim to be doing an article about real men, they focus on trips / activities / workout schedules / etc that are out of the reach of the average man. My brother thinks that is what makes these magazines so popular.

That's because the average subscriber for the titles are generally well above the income range of "the average man". Median HH income in the US was $44,389, median HH income for an Outdoor Life subscriber is about $55k, the bottom of the fourth quintile for income. Median HH income for Maxim subscribers is over $64k, middle of the fourth quintile for income.

Quote:
I figured that there is a pretty diverse group of people here, so I was wondering what you all would prefer - focusing on "real" trips or the constant high end trip of a life time type. We have been talking about a project coming up, and the results of this might influence us on what direction that project takes.

Now that's a different matter, I'm not a big magazine consumer because there really isn't enough in them that interests me for the price of the magazine (or the time investment). But my (nearly 43 y/o married WM) interest in reading on trip material is exponentially higher for realistic trips than for pie-in-the-sky stuff ... strictly FWIW of course.