View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 04:04 AM   #15
RainMaker
General Manager

As someone who runs a few retail stores online, the credit card companies don't care. It was sort of sad at first and angered me, but I guess it's just part of the game.

For instance, we have a good security system in place. We use AVS, match up IP addresses, and a slew of other stuff on orders that raise red flags. Now there are some orders that are so obvious it's laughable. A guy using someone's credit card with a billing address in California and a shipping address in some foreign country (with a totally different name). They moronically order a ton of stuff that throws up a red flag regardless. So we know it's fraud.

We call the credit card company and tell them they have a card holder who has had their number stolen. They say there is nothing they can do about it. We say "well maybe just giving them a call and asking if they made a $2000 purchase at this store". They say they can't. So who knows how many times the card will keep getting banged before the person finds out.

And the reason is because the store will ultimately eat the charge. Whenever there is fraud that slips through, we eat it. So there is little incentive for them to fight it. American Express is the worst as I don't even think they look at your response to chargebacks. There are many times where a wife will order shit and then obviously tell the husband she didn't when he gets mad. They charge it back and win despite us having the correct address, an e-mail and phone number matching, and a delivery signature. You can report it to the local police, but they don't give a shit either.

Credit cards are mostly governed by the stores who process and the people who own them. Law enforcement and the CC companies don't give two shits about fraud.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote