View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 08:25 PM   #7
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I did a similar project with an earlier version, ended up getting pretty good numbers by throwing repeatedly to J.K. McKay (I was basically goofing around with a terrible team). I don't recall off-hand what record I ended up with but it was definitely better than their reality.

Typically with SAT the bottom line on realism comes back to your willingness to limit yourself to the actual usage of players. You can abuse the AI to some extent by pounded low touch/high average players a lot but that usually only goes so far too since there are performance penalties applied once you exceed a certain threshold over their real life limits.

What's funny I was trying not to overuse anyone because it wasn't clear to me how drastic those penalties were. It was a matter of figuring out need plays vs throwaway plays and no one got particularly overworked. Spurrier threw exactly his season average in passes but ended up going 16/22 for over 200 yards and 2 touchdowns. No one got over 3 catches but that one was McKay. It was our defense that was over stout. Their sole TD was a White Shoes punt return which really was worth it for the memories alone because I was a huge White Shoes fan.

What feels bad I've realized isn't the win, it's that we were never out of the drivers seat and as the game dragged on, it was clear we weren't going to lose it because they couldn't move the ball. I don't think we should have been in that much control given that team and I'd expect a win to be more of a lucky play thing than a solid team victory.

Last edited by Axxon : 03-23-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Axxon is offline   Reply With Quote