View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 06:52 PM   #461
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
I guess I just don't see it that way. Take the Big East tournament - the finale between WVU and Georgetown featured two teams with not a ton to gain by winning in terms of entry to the NCAA tournament and/or seeding, (though Huggins lobbied for a #1 seed after the win, he said before the game that WVU was a 2, and he was happy with that.) It was an extremely hard fought game that came down to the last play. Guys on both sides were in tears after the game. I think the conference tournaments matter plenty and always will.
The major conferences are different though. Although I do think you kill a lot of the early round drama from them. Notre Dame, Illinois, and Minnesota fighting for wins so they could get in. I love Championship Week for the mid-majors and smaller conference tournaments. Watching a school battle in its own gym for a rare trip to the tournament. There is just so much passion in those games.

I mean, do we really need 8 Big Ten teams in the tournament? Or 13 Big East schools? I guess it offers something good for schools/conferences both big and small. But I think it lowers the quality of the tournament and the integrity of the sport.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote