View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 10:25 PM   #138
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
It was a GREAT game to watch. My wife and I left the game saying exactly that. It sucked to lose, but it was an amazing sporting experience. In a weird way, the UNC crowd seemed to feed off of the small, but energized W&M crowd. It definitely wasn't what I hear of UNC crowds being - they were very into it, vocal, etc, etc. One of my top live sporting experiences, probably my top in which "my team" lost.

Most likely because it was in Carmichael and therefore the wine-and-cheesers were not nearly as prevalent in the crowd. It's very noticeable when they play at the Smith Center unless they're up for a really big team like Duke. I remember several years ago when UNC was playing Maryland the night after the big snowstorm hit the area (2000, I just looked up). The inability for most of the big wheels to get into Chapel Hill for the game resulted in the arena staff letting anybody who could get there sit wherever they liked. This resulted in the students getting most of the courtside seats. The Heels fed off the crowd to rally from a huge deficit to win. It actually motivated some gradual shifting of seats in the Smith Center to getting better seats for students, though still nothing on the order of what the students get at State, Duke, and Maryland.

One of the few things that NC State has gotten right compared to UNC over the years is that when they moved into the RBC Center, they kept the courtside seats for the students. It actually works out well since the courtside seats in the RBC Center are the temporary ones removed for hockey, so the major donors still get their good seats a few rows up (above the wall where the rink would be located) and not have to worry about students blocking much of the view.

Last edited by Wolfpack : 03-17-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote