View Single Post
Old 09-05-2003, 07:24 AM   #33
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

20.6 Fixture: zfan - Houston Hippopotami

Preview
We run into a bit of luck this week as zfan has been abandoned. zfan is a team I was expecting to compete with for one of those 4-7 slots in the division. A win today gets us 3rd place in the series, probably the highest rank we will see the entire season. Also, this will be the highly anticipated debut of new Hippo striker Gaultiero Spagnuolo who we hope will be a key kog in the H-Gun for quite a while. But, that's not why you are here...

As some of you are quite aware, CW and I made a little bet coming into our friendly this past week that whoever loses has to wear ugly kits this week. As some of you are also quite aware, my f@#$@^%@% coach pulled back up 2-0 and losing possession and we lost 4-3. So I opened up the voting to see which ugly colors I should wear for this week's game:

(The Story Thread) Ugly Kit Colors
(The Poll) Pick the Hippos Ugly Kit Colors (Lost Bet)

And, this post wouldn't be complete without artwork:

Game Summary
Date: 8/25/2003 at 01:00
MatchID: 8326989
Arena: Zed Park
Crowd: 31316

At Zed Park, 31316 punters turned up, and despite threatening clouds at the horizon, no rain came. Everyone was excited about the upcoming Houston derby and it the crowd was divided evenly. zfan had chosen a strategic 3-5-2 formation. The following players had been chosen: Covington - Lambkin, Modrzejewski, Craner - Ertorp, Sörensson, Håkansson, Pålsson, Pilflod - Bele, Davis.

Hippopotami had chosen a strategic 3-5-2 formation. The following players had been chosen: Kimber - Bush, Miquel, Cristiano - Wellens, Meek, Benito, Connors, Starks - Phelan, Spagnuolo.

Some quick foot work on the left side of the field in the 6:th minute left Hippopotami´s Gualtiero Spagnuolo completely free to score. 0 - 1 for the visitors. The referee showed zfans Harald Pilflod the yellow card after a particularly nasty challenge. Edwin Phelan increased the visitors lead by putting a volley shot away on a pass from the right. 0 - 2. By now Hippopotami were drawing the troops back in order to defend their lead. A marvelous zfan effort to the right resulted in a 25:th minute goal by Johan Ertorp, putting the score up to 1 - 2. The game had been on for 35 minutes when Edwin Phelan broke through to the right, upping the score to the home crowd´s dismay. Hippopotami´s were up 1 - 3. Hippopotamis Herschel Meek got himself booked after a foul. The teams went for a half-time break at 1 - 3. Hippopotami held the ball, with a clear 59 percent possession rate.

Johan Ertorp was dominating his wing and kept sending fine balls into the enemy box - Sarp Bele managed to kick one of them into 2 - 3 in the 55:th minute. Edwin Phelan increased the visitors lead by putting a volley shot away on a pass from the right. 2 - 4. At that, Edwin Phelan was noted down for a hat trick. Harald Pilflod managed to make an excellent pass from the flank, but Johan Ertorp was not as skillfull in scoring. Hippopotami had, after 69 minutes of the game, worked the left side industriously, creating several opportunities to add to their lead, but somehow didn´t achieve closure. Unsportsmanlike behaviour by Herschel Meek rendered him his second booking of the match, and Hippopotami had to finish the game with a reduced squad. The fortyfive minutes were dominated by Hippopotami, with an impressive 55 percent possession of the ball.

zfan´s best player was Sarp Bele. Harald Pilflod was a disappointment, however. The most dominating Hippopotami player was without a doubt Tim Kimber. Pierre Wellens was a disappointment, however. The match ends 2 - 4.

Events and Stats
A few notes:
1. Our score will always be first, whether we are ahead or behind
2. The (num) after the names is their goal tally for the season
3. "xx" means the time of the goal was not specified
4. Most stats will only be for our team

Formations
HH: 3-5-2
ZF: 3-5-2

Events Summary

1st Half
HH: 06: Gualtiero Spagnuolo (1): 1-0
HH: xx: Edwin Phelan (3): 2-0
ZF: 25: 2-1
HH: xx: Edwin Phelan (4): 3-1
Halftime Score: 3-1
Possession: 59%

2nd Half
ZF: 55: 3-2
HH: xx: Edwin Phelan (5): 4-2
Final Score: 4-2
Possession: 55%
Final Possession: 57%

Cards
HH: xx: Herchel Meek (yellow- foul)
HH: xx: Herschel Meek (second yellow, ejection- unsportsmalike behaviour)

Injuries
None

Stadium
Terraces: 0/20000
Basic seats: 0/8000
Seats under roof: 0/3200
VIP seats: 0/800
Total: 0/32000

And, yet again, our fans show they are not as dumb as a bag of hammers by not going to the stadium for an away game. 31K showed up at Zed Park despite the lack of ownership.

Team Ratings

zfan
Midfield: inadequate (5)
Right Side Defence: passable (6)
Central Defence: formidable (9)
Left Side Defence: formidable (9)
Right Side Attack: formidable (9)
Central Attack: outstanding (10)
Left Side Attack: excellent (8)
DataKing/Nevstar Index: 61/66

Houston Hippopotami
Midfield: solid (7)
Right Side Defence: solid (7)
Central Defence: solid (7)
Left Side Defence: solid (7)
Right Side Attack: solid (7)
Central Attack: excellent (8)
Left Side Attack: excellent (8)
DataKing/Nevstar Index: 58/65

I'm definately jealous of his offense. Then again, I don't have 24yo 5-star Sarp Bele running my offense like he does. However, we attacked his midfield and weak right side defense and that's how we won. We backed off a little from last week's rating but as long as we can keep a solid midfield on the road, I'll be happy. I think our goal is to get a 70 without MotS'ing by the end of the year- I'm not sure we can do it but it's a great goal.

Player Ratings
GK Tim Kimber ****
DW Elmer Bush ***
DM Jose Maria Miguel ***
DW Lorenzo Cristiano (o) ***
WI Pierre Wellens **
MI Herschel Meek -ejected-
MI Stephen Connors (x) ***~
MI Carlos Alberto Benito (o) ***~
WI Mick Starks (o) **
FO Edwin Phelan ***
FO Gualtiero Spagnuolo ***

Total Stars: 30.0
Total player experience: poor
Team Attitude: Normal

Kimber dominating once again with **** while our new forward combo each netted *** today (was kindof hoping for ***~ from Gualtiero). All three defenders also got *** (including Miguel's first *** rating) but there is definately cause for concern out there at wing. Wellens is only going to get **~ about half the time so that I don't mind so much. He's 17 and will be getting **** in no time (ok, perhaps a slight exaggeration). However, Mick Starks has fallen over $100K in value and gone from ***~ to ** in his current slump! We have no one to replace him and he's just going to have to ride it out. All in all, we would have had 33.5 stars with Meek, our best ever, and a really nice 35 if Stark's head weren't up his ass. NO MORE CRAWFISH PARTIES!

Three Stars
Goal scorers and a middie who played well until he was thrown out

Bronze: Herschel Meek
He got those cards out of the way heading into the all-but-unwinnable Brooklyn game and will have a clean slate
Silver: Gualtiero Spagnuolo
Gets (hopefully) first of many Hippo goals 6 minutes into his career here
Gold: Edwin Phelan
Got into the thick of the series goal race with a hat trick

Game Summary
I wonder if Phelan was starting to fell the pressure, especially after Spagnuolo scored 6 minutes into the game. Don't worry, Edwin, we love ya here in Hippo town and you're not losing your job any time soon. We just wanted to get you some help so you don't have to carry the offense on your back so often. His hat trick puts him in 2nd for the series goal title behind Jan Zaslawski of Brooklyn United (see below). Another one of those pretty games where everything came up excellent or solid, tho I was really hoping for a formidable central attack. Maybe next time...

Press Release
8/26/2003 at 01:42 Four Forward Goals Fluster Formidable zfan
zfan may now be computer controlled but they still have Sarp Bele who scored his 60th career goal but Edwin Phelan collected his third career hat trick and new striker Gualtiero Spagnuolo started his Hippo career with a goal in the 6th minute, en route to a 4-2 win. The Hippos were possibly aided by pink-orange-lime kits, the price of a lost bet from last week's friendly. The win has the Hippos in 3rd place, but that is likely to change as they play Brooklyn and Kaishaku the next four weeks.

Around the League
A battle among the two best with a suprising outcome and a pair of upper tier teams underestimating lower tier teams

Iowa Enforcers - The Champion 1 - 0
Iowa likely PIC'd this game and almost got burned. They won possession by 60 and 69% (exc vs inad) but didn't score until Norman Aguirre in the 72nd minute. Iowa flat out missed on one chance and Champion goalie Erik Speer put up 3.5 stars and made another pair of spectacular blocks. The Champion missed on their only opportunity of the game.

Team Groomers - Kaishaku F.C. 0 - 2
While the other game was one of missed opportunities, this was likely a PIC on the road and Kaishaku nearly got burned. Here's a transcript of the first half: "Zenon Kieta of Kaishaku received a yellow card in the 24:th minute for unsportsmanlike behaviour. Halftime score was 0 - 0. Kaishaku held the ball, with a clear 53 percent possession rate." However, Kaishaku pulled it out, scoring on their only 2 possessions of the second half and blanking Team Groomers. I definately have to give the Groomers credit- check out this message: "Groomers´s Roger Root refused to leave the field after injuring his achilles tendon in the 73rd minute." That's one tough bastard.

Chock Full of Wholesome Goodness - Brooklyn United 0 - 8
I'm not sure *anyone* expected this. Chock was playing Brooklyn at the Creamy Nougat Center with a chance to gain back some of their lost stature in the series and they flat out laid an egg. They had another 94 NSI but were completely dominated by Brooklyn who put up a 107, highest ever this season for a Div IV team. Brooklyn had a world class(!!!) midfield accompanied by a titanic-supernatural-magnificent defense (I only know where one of those is on the charts) and an all formidable offense. 30yo Jan Zaslawski put up 4.5 stars and 4 goals for BU to take the series scoring lead. However, this is another one of those confusing scores. Brooklyn only won possession by 52% and 53% each half (wc vs mag is only 1 level) and Brooklyn had pulled back when only up 2-0. *keeps championing changed engine theory*

League Standings
Code:
N Team P Goals Pts NSI 1. Brooklyn United 5 26 - 1 15 107 2. Iowa Enforcers 5 14 - 8 12 73 4. Houston Hippopotami 5 12 - 10 9 65 5. Kaishaku F.C. 5 8 - 9 9 70 5. Chock Full of Whole 5 12 - 15 7 94 6. zfan 5 10 - 19 6 66 7. The Champion 5 2 - 9 1 60 8. Team Groomers 5 4 - 17 0 56

You know, if flukish upsets keep happening, I may luck my way into 4th place even though I am clearly the 5th place talent in this series. Right now I'm sitting at third, tho, I'll be happy with 3 points over the next 4 weeks (4 games against Kaishaku and Brooklyn). Iowa has got to come back down to earth at some point and Chock can't keep losing (the Brooklyn loss was no suprise, just the magnitude of it), can they? A zfan computer-controlled upset against Kaishaku or Iowa could really help. That week 12 matchup at home against Iowa looms large... an MotS maybe. And I suppose after this week's showings, I'm not that far behding Kaishaku or Iowa in terms of NSI but I think both might have PIC'd their respective games.

Hatstats
Well, another week, another IV.21 team is the top team in Div IV. This time, it's Brooklyn United again. They got a 107 rating and 47.0 starts in their 8-0 whitewashing of Chock, who was 7th with 94 and 41.0. These propel us back to the 2nd toughest Div IV series in the USA with an average rating of 73.9, second to IV.61 and their 76.5. No one else got above a 75 this week but Iowa and Kaishaku got 73 and 70 while zfan and I got 66 and 65 and the bottom two got 60 and 56. BTW, Brooklyn is at #4 overall for teams to promote into Div III and I won't be sad to see that team of his go. He seems like a pretty nice guy, but we can't hang with him and he'd be better suited up there (read: I expect my game with him next week to be about 10-0).

As for the other lists, Lousiana still sits atop the Thugs list (#1 in the entire USA even) and the Gargoyles come in at 4. Daed's Calibiri rank 2nd in hospital time. Chock's stunned crowd of 60000 that witnessed their devistating loss to Brooklyn was good for 7th in Div IV and 38th in all of the US. Lastly, if the season ended today, Rich1033 and his Toledo Drunkards would join IV.21 next year. Keep fighting for another spot- I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Then again, with Brooklyn gone next season (hopefully), this becomes a lot saner with only Chock putting up 90+ ratings and everyone else in the 70s/60s.

Notes
Next week... will not be pretty. We go to Brooklyn on the heels of their 107 rating this week. Ouch. In much happier news, the run-and-shoot will be hosting supporter NAIWF, his defensive sludge, and his Manhattan Marauders at the 'drome for some good old fashioned offense versus defense. As for Houston vs New York, it's going to be 1994 all over again as "Hakeem" Juan Miguel Tizon and the Hippos offense dream shakes NAIWF Ewing's defense so they see him in their sleep

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-16-2003 at 07:10 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote