View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 04:50 AM   #63
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24 View Post
So to successfully build a team in OOTP playing solo with scouting on the best strategy is to:

A. Use OSA to determine which of your scouts grades are legitimate
and
B. If you are picking outside of the first 5 picks in the first round, you NEVER want to pick the player your scout says is best.

It takes 5 minutes to set up a league and 30 minutes to simulate a half dozen drafts to see that if you have the best scout, budget the money for scouting amateurs and then actually follow the scout's recommendations you end up with one dogshit draft after another.

I don't necessarily disagree with you here, but the MLB draft is notoriously unpredictable. There's tons of players that have made it from the lower rounds, and a laundry list of guys that got drafted high and never even cracked the majors. Scouts are often wrong.

I think that your A analysis is quite fair. Don't use one source to determine your draft pick. You analyze a number of factors and make your decisions that way. I'm sure that in real life, GM's read the draft rankings and cross-index to their scout data before making up their minds.

I do miss having multiple scouts though. That way it gives you a better indicator that your head scout may be out to lunch, if all your other scouts are rating a player 1* and he is giving him 5*.

Hopefully with the added stats for prospects (hopefully that give you real indicators and not just random stats), the OSA rankings and your head scout ranking, you can have an idea of whether a prospect is good or not. It reminds me of FOF, if you just look at the bars it is extremely misleading, you have to look at the overrated / underrated, the combine scores etc PLUS the bars to help you determine things.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote