View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 08:45 AM   #26
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
I did not spend a single minute coding these two features, Andreas does that part of the game, so it is not time 'wasted' (as you seem to think) from my side.

So, feeders and scouting are useless. I am glad that most people seem to disagree Anyway, feel free to email me (markus at ootpdevelopments.com) what you dislike about them, I am always open to ideas.

I'd love to see what majority is using feeders. I haven't seen more then a few people post they have ever been able to keep the talent entering their league balanced when using them.

As for scouting, if you can't see how you can triangulate the actual ratings in the draft by using OSA and can see where your scout is wrong... then I don't know what to tell you - it's so obvious that it's unplayable.

A. Turn on Scouting
B. Hire the best scouts
C. Go to the draft
D. See which players your scout likes best
E. Go into the editor and see their ratings
F. The players your scout likes most are the players where his positive error is.

Run 10 seasons picking the player your scout likes best, then run 10 seasons where you pick the highest rated players that your scout and OSA agree on. Go back and tell me which 10 year stretch you drafted better players. It's not even close. Unless you are picking in the top 5 the player your scout likes best is always a bust, because every team is scouting them and if their ratings were really high one of the other scouts in the league would have identified the player. I can turn on scouting, go to the draft and 5 picks into the draft I can identify the 5-10 players my scout is telling me are good but aren't, but the AI isn't taking them and my scout is 2 or 3 standard deviations high on rating those players.

Because of the way the game creates players, I know the higher the ratings the more likely they are 'mis-scouted'.

I don't really care, I've given up trying to use scouts and it doesn't keep me from playing the game, but it does give me pause when I see something like defense is 'improved', yet since I have no idea how it worked before or how it works going forward, you'll have to forgive me for being skeptical because I've seen the same claims about things like scouting and it has been wrong.

As far as who programs what features, it doesn't really matter. If you think your customer base thinks that printable baseball cards is something that is going to move more units, then that's your decision to make. If it's true it just suprises me that the sort of people attracted to this sort of game would be excited about that. I would think that real improvements to the financials, engine, AI, would sell more units, but it's your livelihood and I respect the fact that they are your calls to make, but it doesn't make me any more impressed or excited by the list.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote