View Single Post
Old 02-17-2010, 12:56 PM   #396
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
I think the problem is that NBC's curling play-by-play guy doesn't grasp the permutations of differing strategies. He called out, "Great shot!" more than once yesterday during the Germany-US game. Don Duguid, the Canadian color guy, would subtly interject that it wasn't as great a shot as the play-by-play guy thought it was. I think Duguid was actually getting a bit annoyed with the play-by-play guy's commentary.

This is why I keep watching the Canadian matches. I was trying to explain this to some people last night. The American announcers are treating the audience not just as neophytes- which is ok because we are- but with the same 3rd grade level intelligence that brings us Madden saying stuff like "If you want to win, you have to score more points than the other team".

However, the Canadian broadcasts doesn't have as much talking. They don't just say stuff to fill time. However, usually what they say is quite insightful and I tend to learn something. Even if it's a little over my head, I can retain it for use later.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote