View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010, 08:49 AM   #199
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
Except women's hockey, apparently. Scores like in today's Canada match would suggest that the competition level isn't high enough worldwide to warrant this being an Olympic sport.

Plus, it makes no sense to have a womens sport where the women's bodies are completely covered (since all women's sports are spectator sports). Women's hockey needs to take a page from the beach volleyball folks.

Women's hockey is incredible... when it is Canada vs USA. The rest of the world is still way behind, but the hope is that with exposure at the Olympics and other events they will eventually close that gap. A graph I saw yesterday showed the number of registered female hockey players per country. It went like this (my numbers are by memory but should be close):

Canada: 77000
USA: 59000
Sweden: 3000
Finland: 3000
China: 283
Russia: 257

Obviously its going to be hard for Russia to compete when they are clearly not encouraging women to play. There is no excuse for that in a country so passionate about hockey.

Anyways, I encourage you to watch if (when) Canada and the US meet up (likely the final). It will be every bit as interesting as most of the mens hockey matches. Those women can play!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote