View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 09:32 PM   #159
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The other problem from reading the articles is that the Canadians restricted the use of the tracks prior to the games for everyone but their own team. So people just don't have a lot of experience on it.

I was bothered by this as well, until I read that this is pretty much the norm. The way it was explained in the opinion column I read was that people are just shocked that Canada is doing it, because we are generally just expected to be nice all the time.

If you read this NY Times article from September, the claim is made that we have allowed more access than any previous host:

Quote:
Canadian officials said that they had provided more access than any previous host country, largely because their sites were completed early. But the officials acknowledge that they are also driven to succeed at these Olympics, perhaps more than any previous host country.

What seems to be causing the kerfuffle is that we have terminated access that traditionally we have allowed, mostly due to pressure to succeed on home turf. So people are getting their noses out of joint because we used to let them train in our facilities, but now we are not. But that's a different thing than us gaining some kind of advantage that no other host has previously had.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote