View Single Post
Old 02-12-2010, 10:15 PM   #89
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
All I have to say is that I hope NBC never does the olympics again.

You won't see much difference regardless of the network.

Quote:
People have this cool "new" invention called DVR's.

Currently present in roughly 30% of US TV households. And of the top 10 most prevalent (San Diego leads at 37.7%) only three are top ten market size (DAL, LA, SF).

Quote:
Show the games live and if people want to watch it they can or they can record it.

As the Wall Street Journal explains,
Quote:
Tape delay is a product of a dilemma facing NBC Universal, whose parent General Electric Co. says it expects to lose about $250 million on the Winter Olympics. It must maximize its audience in the evenings on NBC, without alienating it."
Many West Coast fans were livid when NBC delayed its West Coast feeds in 2008 for Beijing's Summer Games. But the network says West Coast cities posted better ratings than average, even with a delay. NBC figures that airing the games on a delay again will attract more viewers than if they aired when no one is home.

Alan Wurtzel, head of research at NBC Universal, says internal research shows that viewers would rather watch the Olympics on a time delay than have them air at an inconvenient hour. He says the "vast majority" of the Olympics will be aired live in prime time. Nielsen Co. says over three quarters of U.S. viewers live in the East Coast and Central time zones.

Plus, the proliferation of digital recording devices that has led to wide-spread "time shifting" hasn't yet reached the Olympics and other large-scale televised events, says Lisa Quan, director of audience analysis at Interpublic Group's media agency Magna. "It's still this shared experience that you know people are going to be talking about the next day."

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-12-2010 at 10:15 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote