View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 12:44 PM   #262
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
A good post by Marc Ambinder on Palin's appeal:

Damn, this paragraph is one of the best summaries I've ever seen of just about anything.

Quote:
The only presidential candidate who is able to put the boots to Obama and get away with it. What's she running for? Not the question. What's she running against? Not just Rockefeller Republicanism and the media, or pointy-headed law lecturer presidents, or Katie Couric: she wants to relitigate a bunch of issues that once were settled but now seem to be unraveling. The unrestricted embrace of immigration and the dilution of an American culture. Overweening Greenism. A complicated socially engineered tax code. A much larger role for government (embraced by the president who said that the era of Big Government Was Over and his successor, who was a Republican). The rule of experts. Even the concept of bipartisanship itself.

I've read it three times marveling at seeing someone -- on either side of the aisle, in any profession -- actually manage to pull most of the relevant strands together that well. I'm pretty much awestruck by how much he gathered into a reasonably sized paragraph.

Anyone who doesn't understand Palin's appeal but legitimately wants to, no matter what they think about it personally but genuinely wants to understand what people are looking for & seem to be finding in her, he's hit the marks incredibly well.

I don't say this often but it gets my highest praise: damn, I wish I had written that (especially since I spent a lot of yesterday trying & didn't even come close to doing it this well).

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-09-2010 at 12:50 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote