View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 03:08 PM   #216
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I guess that's the thing I don't get. The last thing I want out of a President is someone like me. I like to get drunk, play video games, procrastinate, and watch TV. I don't want someone who enjoys watching a Hoarders marathon on A&E, I want some geeky person who cares about nothing but the country and the different aspects of it. ... Someone I can relate to is fine if it's someone I want to watch a ballgame or go to Vegas with. Not someone I want to run the free world.

I suggest, young padawan, that your lack of confidence is an indication of how far you still have to go

Okay, more seriously now, here's where I think you part ways from a lot of the country on that. Without hesitation, I can say I believe I'd be happier with the state of the nation right this second if I had been running the country for the last 8 years. I believe that a lot of other people would say the same thing (about themselves, not about me).

Since we aren't in a position where that's likely to come up, what's the next best thing? Either find someone whose positions we like better than our own (dunno about you but those are pretty rare animals for me) or the next best option might be to find someone who seems to relate to us, hoping even against hope that they might do the right/best/correct thing just as we believe we would have done ourselves if given the chance.