View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #207
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
I would hope that, were I in charge of an event, it would be for people who would be more inclined to deal with substance/reality.

I've tried to address some of the "why she appeals" stuff in another post but seeing this one afterwards, let me try it again.

Here's the "reality": Hearing her deliver a few rips on Obama is worth $349 to enough people to fill the room. You're talking about enlightenment, they were looking for entertainment, that's two really different things.

Let's be clear, I'm not personally sold on Palin long term. I've said that several times previously, still say it today. But if I'd been in a position to comfortably pay $349 for the speech, I'd probably feel like I got my money's worth based on the single quote I mentioned earlier alone. It conveyed an adequate amount of contempt for the target, tweaked their minions, all the while dismissing the target at the same time. That pretty much summed up the feelings of the room in a nice neat ball, not unlike a song that manages to cover a lot of ground with a well turned lyric or two. I believe you're completely out of synch with the purpose of hearing her (or most speeches) if you're looking for something enlightening. This was about being entertained, probably simultaneously validated by hearing from a (seemingly) kindred spirit, same paying big bucks for a concert from a favorite band.