View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 07:11 PM   #88
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
Shareholders buy into corporations...they are the owners. Shareholders pay money into the corporation make profits. Thus, the money they put into the corporation is money they no longer have for donating to campaigns. They have the right to either a) take back all of the money, or b) use some of the money they make to help make more money. Because corporations are so big, in many cases the board of directors hires managers to make many of these decisions. Corporations only have to answer to the shareholders--they don't represent you or me, they represent their interests.

Also, how is this much different than being a "Friend of Candidate", donating to their campaign, and having the campaign pay for its commercials. What about the ACLU? Why give their members "2x the speech"?

If you don't like a whole lot of money in politics, that's fine. I don't particularly like it much either. But, just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's not protected speech.

i'm not saying that it's not protected speech currently. i think that's stilll debatable either way, but i'm not interested in that argument. i'm arguing that the laws should be changed so that it wouldn't be.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote