View Single Post
Old 08-30-2003, 10:00 PM   #1
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Fast Break College Basketball: Colgate

SYRACUSE GRAD OFFERED NEARBY HEAD COACHING JOB

Today, esteemed Syracuse University graduate, Marmel, was offered the Head Coaching Job at Colgate University. Colgate is a mere 50 miles from the city of Syracuse and is nestled in the hills of Upstate New York in the town of Hamilton. A truly beautiful campus, but a truly horrible basketball program. Marmel tried to walk onto the Syracuse basketball team back in the early nineties, but was cut after the first round of tryouts. A lifetime Syracuse fan, who was repeatedly turned down by Coach Boeheim for a job on the Syracuse staff, he looked elsewhere in New York for work in college hoops. Colgate is taking a chance on this young, green, 30 year old coach.

This career will be run using Fast Break College Basketball. The basic settings that will be used in this career:

- Attributes rated on a 1-100 scale

- Teams will move up and down conferences, but conference prestige will not vary

- Injuries enabled, but toned down, as they seemed a bit high on the default level.

- Players can be suspended for academic reasons.

- Normal Play Level gives me 240 points to distribute for myself:
Recruitng 70
Scouting 40
Offense 65
Defense 65

My athletic director is expecting a 500 record this season, and our annual budget is $217,000.

Our training facilities are currently at 27, which is 5th in the conference.

I ran through the demo once, but this is my first real try at playing this game, so expect some beginner’s stupidity to occur.

My first official duty as the Head Coach is to hire a staff. I need a recruiting co-ordinator, lead scout and assistant.

Since my team prestige is in the 20’s, I know I cannot get any top flight coaches, but hopefully, I can pull one decent one to help me out.

In the first round of staff hiring, I had two coaches decline, but we were able to hire our Scouting Director. He is 41 year old Henry Holsinger. His scouting rating is 39 and he makes 50K per year.

In the second round, we hire nobody, and then the same results in the 3rd round. I am trying to hire some pretty below average guys, yet they still don’t want to come to Colgate.

Finally, we get a Coaching Assistant to join the staff. He is Elliot Fujimoto, He is only 26 years old and is rated 25 in offense and 27 in defense.

We round out the staff with Don Cole as our recruiting director. He is 36 years old and is rated as a 27 in recruiting.

The next step is putting together a schedule for the 2003 season.
To nobody’s surprise we were not invited to any preseason tournaments. We can schedule up to 14 OOC games, with 6 being Home Games.

To start out, we schedule a home date with Binghampton, and road dates with Albany and Syracuse. All three schools accept in May, and we are also offered a Road game by Vermont, which we accept. That fills, 4 of our 14 dates.

As we move into June of 2003, we add a few more games to the schedule. Hartford, Quinnipiac, and New Hampshire all agree to play this season. In addition we are offered games with Siena, Southwest Missouri State and UTEP. All those teams are much better than Colgate, but we will play them.

I believe that leaves us with 4 games to fill, but as July rolls around, the Recruiting period begins!!!

In July we are only able to make phone contact with potential recruits, and allow our scout to evaluate them, but we do get to see the list of all potential recruits, and even offer them scholies already!

We will have 3 scholarships to fill.

The recruiting interest is broken down into 5 levels of interest, with High and Very High being the best. Out of the hundreds of recruits out there, only 4 that are rated better than 1 star have high or more interest in Colgate. Two of them are 3 star recruits, which would be huge if we can land at least one of them. We put about 20 guys on our call list though, and offer those three star guys scholarships already. Mainly I will be recruiting guys with high interest from around the country, and then guys from New York who are at least rated average in interest. I spend about 75% of my monthly recruiting budget in July.

In August, only Cornell accepts a game, so I still have 3 more spots to fill up. We will work on that, but first we go back to revisit come recruits.

We are aggressively recruiting three guys from New York, a Center, PF and SG. The PF is 2 star and the other two guys are 3 star players.
September rolls around and the students arrive on campus. What a wonderful time of year!

Rhode Island, Elon and Charleston Southern round out our 2003 schedule, and at this point, we will move on to the month of November, recruiting at the start of every month.
November, 2003

A couple recruits have made commitments.

SF Charles Swinney from Homer, NY will be attending St. Joseph’s.

PF Robert Nicholas from East Syracuse will attend Niagara.

SG Han Brewton from Oriskany, NY will attend COLGATE!

Hans is 6’5, 210 and scored a 1250 on his SAT’s. He is a 3 star recruit. Sure to be the prize of our recruiting class.

We have some training camps and are ready to start out the season!

Let’s take a look at the team this year. By the way, an awesome feature of this game is the print button. When you want to print something, it automatically cuts and pastes into Notepad for you and opens it up. SWEET!

Starters in Bold.

CENTERS

11 Michael Hicks C Jr 6'11" 273 Pittsgrove, NJ

A good rebounded and plays pretty good post defense. He should be able to score some points down low as well and can hit the occasional free throw. He will be our starting center this season.

50 Garrett Welch C Fr 6' 9" 247 Keyser, WV

A good post scorer, and a decent rebound. His defensive play relegates him to the bench, but he will be one of the first subs we bring in.

34 Sammy Hynes C Fr 6'10" 217 Malverne, NY

Pathetic. He does not even show much potential. About what should be expected from a non scholarship player on Colgate. Practice Squad player strictly.

POWER FORWARDS

1 Andrew Marley PF Sr 6'11" 247 Bel Air, MD

About the only thing he does well is pass the ball, and as a power forward, that is not a very important skill. Andrew will only be used in blowouts.

52 Richard Nichols PF So 6'10" 254 Poughkeepsie, NY

Richard has a pretty good inside shot, and can play some decent defense. He looks to be a monster shot blocker. He is our starting PF.

35 James Hale PF Fr 6' 7" 238 Walpole, MA

This red shirt freshman shows a bit of potential, but won’t see the court for a few seasons at best.

SMALL FORWARDS

32 Victor Owen SF Sr 6' 9" 232 Auburn, ME

Vic handles the ball well, and can hit the 3 pointer. He can play a little defense on the perimiter. I wish we had somebody a bit better, but he looks to be our starter.

40 Rusty Delapaz SF So 6' 6" 223 Uxbridge, MA

Rusty really doesn’t have many strengths, but could develop over the next few seasons.

20 Tony Brown SF Fr 6' 7" 239 Fairport, NY

Similar to Rusty, the potential to contribute is there, but he is a long ways away.

SHOOTING GUARDS

10 John Reuter SG Sr 6' 4" 230 Horseheads, NY

If we needed a designated free throw shooter, John would be the one. Too bad we don’t.

2 Warren Pond SG Fr 6' 5" 226 New York, NY

Warren doesn’t do anything real well, except for steals. Still, he starts by default.

51 Dennis Aultman SG Fr 6' 8" 220 New York, NY

He will compete for worst player on the team this year.

POINT GUARDS

4 Jeramy Perez PG Fr 6' 2" 188 Willimantic, CT

‘J’ has a great J and is a very good ball distributor. It appears he might be the focus of our team. Early signs say he is the best player we have.

14 Joseph Tiller PG Fr 6' 3" 204 Corbin, KY

Another guy with a good shot, but nothing else. His defense is so bad, he becomes a liability on the court.

5 Sydney Greenwood PG Fr 6' 2" 201 Allentown, PA

Another typical Colgate player. Nothing to brag about, but he should see some decent minutes.

We will be running a man to man defense. We will press and trap rarely, and we will double team to some extent, hopefully covering up our defensive weaknesses.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Last edited by Marmel : 08-30-2003 at 10:01 PM.
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote