View Single Post
Old 12-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #467
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
The idiot fringe is still there and thriving. I lived in the North End, where a non-white person was about as rare as a Sox World Series win. Most of the idiot fringe has moved out to Revere, Sommerville, and the likes, but it is still very present. My wife mentioned when we live there that everyone seems to joke about how racist the south is compared to Boston, but it is mainly because Boston is still highly segregated.

Anyway, while there is plenty of racism and the Sox have been historically mostly white, nobody cares about color so long as you're hitting.

Yes this is true. I was going to post a longer reply to Bishop but figured what is the point. I have had similar discussions with my own inlaws. I am white, affluent (now) and associated with similar "crowds" as Bishop noted but am slightly older than he and DT 41. I lived in Newton but was born in Worcester and have to say that I found the white collar collar people in Newton shockingly as much if not more bigoted than the blue collar types from the Worcester area though Newton people are obviously more educated. So, the point that just because someone is highly educated and rich makes them more tolerant is ridiculous. YMMV. Does anyone think if Randy Moss was a hard nosed scrappy type white player ala Welker he would of been berated last week by the fans and the media? Anyways, two white guys arguing about racism in Boston is like Tiger Woods and Charlie Sheen discussing the finer points of monogamous relationships.

Last edited by Galaril : 12-22-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote