View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 10:38 AM   #495
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
With Ty's defense as an on the ball defender he is great. I was talking about exploiting him in the post due to his lack of height. They may not have a matchup that makes him exploitable in the post in the playoffs either. It was more of a worst case scenario.

As for Mello I was more so talking when hes not getting the ball where he needs to have his greatest success. Billups will run the offense and make sure he gets it in a post up position or closer to the hoop. I should have been more specific, when Mello settles for the 20 foot jumpers he is doing the defense a favor. Every once in awhile it seems Mello will start settleing for the 20 foot jumper when he is one of the 3 most dangerous players in the NBA taking it to the hoop.

In any case the Nuggets are an exciting group of talent. I hope they can put it together and challenge the Lakers this year.

Billups strained a groin last night, so all of the Nuggets fans wanting a big dose of Lawson are going to get it now.

When watching Melo play, it is usually one of three ways he plays:

1) Attacks the hoop, gets foul calls, keeps attacking the hoop all game.
2) Attacks the hoop, gets no foul calls (sometimes because of good defense, sometimes because the refs have their heads up their asses and let him get beat to hell). . . after which he moves to the 15-18 foot range and fires up jumpers with mixed success.
3) He's "in the zone" and hitting everything. Defender lays off of him, he drains the 15 footer. Defender gets close, he blows past him and gets an and one. Double comes, he hits cutters in the lane for dunks and FT attempts.

When he's in zone three, he's unstoppable. Last night, it was zone one. He attacked all night long. Hit a three point shot, but other than that he was in pure attack mode. He got the calls he deserved (only one superstar call I saw last night) and kept attacking.

His problem when facing the Lakers is that he needs is outside shot to be on, because zone one isn't possible. The Lakers have too much length and the Lakers know the refs aren't calling everything. Melo must have his total package working or he's in trouble against the Lake show.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. The NBA allowing the Pau Gasol trade has turned the Lakers into a dynasty. Nobody in the NBA can match their length, bulk, and Kobe. If they stay healthy, they'll win 65 games and cruise to a title. (apologies Celtics fans)

I wish the Nuggets could sign Alex English to a one year, 20 million dollar contract and trade him and an 18 year old for an all nba forward, but that's not going to happen. (I love the revisionist history now that Marc is playing well, the Grizzlies did it to cut salary, no other reason, Marc Gasol could have been Adam Morrison, they just needed a body to complete the deal)

If it sounds like I'm bitter, I still am. But the Lakers are now a dynasty and will win 3 or 4 more rings in the next 6 years because Stern allowed that farce to go through. Lakers fans will cheer and everyone else will just have to hope for early retirements (I never wish injury)
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote