View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 10:15 AM   #494
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Ty's defense is actually the biggest revelation of the year in my mind. He's not an A+ defender by any stretch, but he's not at all bad either. His on court/off court numbers are almost identical to Billups on D, and his overall defense against opposing PG's is actually better.

Ty has slumped a bit in the past couple of weeks, but that's to be expected, he's a rookie. Not sure what the Carmelo drifting thing is about. He just doesn't drift in the fourth quarter of a close game. Last year he was right on par with Lebron and Kobe in the final 5 of a close game, hit more game winning shots and shot a much higher three point percentage than either of the other two.

The problem with Melo is the fact the team sometimes goes away from him for no apparent reason. This happens with Billups or Lawson on the court. It's also a function of the idiocy of George Karl. (again, look at the example of the final play of the Pistons game, Melo was destroying the PIstons and never touched the ball on a designed play. .. just horrible)

With Ty's defense as an on the ball defender he is great. I was talking about exploiting him in the post due to his lack of height. They may not have a matchup that makes him exploitable in the post in the playoffs either. It was more of a worst case scenario.

As for Mello I was more so talking when hes not getting the ball where he needs to have his greatest success. Billups will run the offense and make sure he gets it in a post up position or closer to the hoop. I should have been more specific, when Mello settles for the 20 foot jumpers he is doing the defense a favor. Every once in awhile it seems Mello will start settleing for the 20 foot jumper when he is one of the 3 most dangerous players in the NBA taking it to the hoop.

In any case the Nuggets are an exciting group of talent. I hope they can put it together and challenge the Lakers this year.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote