View Single Post
Old 12-15-2009, 05:11 PM   #22
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Just did it and got this message:

Important Privacy Announcement
Worried about search engines? Your information is safe.
There have been misleading rumors recently about Facebook indexing all your information on Google. This is not true. Facebook created public search listings in 2007 to enable people to search for your name and see a link to your Facebook profile. They will still only see a basic set of information.

FWIW, mine was checked, so I had to uncheck it.

Looks like they're starting their damage control.

Here's a very long & detailed explanation of what the hell is or isn't going on, both good and bad, as well as some of the unknown (which kind of critically includes some confusion about whether a lot of users end up as opt-in or opt-out)
4 Questions & Answers You Should Know About Facebook’s Public Search Listings

It ends with the following summary
* Facebook has been offering public listings well before last week’s announcement.

* These listings have been exposed to search engines before members got a heads-up about it last week.

* Millions of Facebook members have to opt-out of the exposure, if they don’t want it (and may have assumed they were already "private").

* Facebook will be feeding these URLs to the search engines.

* Exposure of the URLs means that even if you opt-out, you might find you get a URL-only listing showing up at Yahoo and maybe Microsoft Live.com and Ask.com.