View Single Post
Old 12-12-2009, 07:29 AM   #340
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Yeah I think the Prince as Ortiz replacement line was more prevalent in 2008 when Fielder was eating his way out of 1B and the Brewers still had LaPorta/Gamel as power hitters behind Braun and Fielder. I don't know how Braun's defense in left is progressing, but he's probably still well below average and might be best suited for 1B as well. But clearly anyone who knows what they're talking about knows Braun (and Longoria, probably Hanley until 2013) isn't going anywhere during his current deal.

A darkhorse power-hitting 1B/DH that's hasn't been mentioned here (and I would hate) is Justin Morneau, under the thinking that Minnesota could trade him and use that money to re-sign Joe Mauer.

UZR had Braun as one of the worst LF in the NL last year, if not the worst. The thing is, Braun is very athletic. He's not that big of a guy for the power numbers he puts up. Watching him play every day, his problem is that he takes some strange angles on balls and makes some boneheaded plays once in a while. He's got a rocket of an arm out there. I don't think it's a matter of him not having the physical tools to play outfield, but a matter of him using those tools to play better. I guess I won't get too worked up about Braun's defense out there when he hits like does. There is probably more talk of actually moving him to a harder outfield position (RF) in order to accommodate another butcher of a 3B in Mat Gamel's move to the outfield.

As for Prince, I wouldn't eliminate him as a possibility for other teams in the near future as much as it pains me to say it. I'm guessing they will talk to Prince and Scott Boras this offseason after the rest of the holes are plugged about an extension that would probably take him to about 30 years old. Surprisingly, the Brewers have a very good relationship with Boras but I'm not necessarily getting my hopes up for an extension.

If the Brewers aren't contending at the trade deadline next year, I could see Prince being shopped if no extension is signed. Definitely next offseason if there is no extension.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote