View Single Post
Old 12-12-2009, 12:07 AM   #338
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
In 2008, Prince was just awful at first base and he really let his weight get away from him. Thankfully he knew it and he came into 2009 in much better shape and it showed offensively and defensively. He went from awful to acceptable defensively.

He's under contract for 2010 and arbitration eligible again in 2011. It'll be interesting to see how he is handled. I think people underestimate how much the Brewers can actually spend, but then again, Fielder might be making himself into a $18-20 million/year player which would be workable if there wasn't a risk with his weight.

Thankfully Ryan Braun is signed to a very, very team friendly deal and I just laugh at some of these trade proposals I hear on MLBTraderumors comment sections where guys want to give up about 4 average prospects for Ryan Braun.

Braun ain't gettin' too expensive for the Brewers any time soon. Nor is he getting traded.
Yeah I think the Prince as Ortiz replacement line was more prevalent in 2008 when Fielder was eating his way out of 1B and the Brewers still had LaPorta/Gamel as power hitters behind Braun and Fielder. I don't know how Braun's defense in left is progressing, but he's probably still well below average and might be best suited for 1B as well. But clearly anyone who knows what they're talking about knows Braun (and Longoria, probably Hanley until 2013) isn't going anywhere during his current deal.

A darkhorse power-hitting 1B/DH that's hasn't been mentioned here (and I would hate) is Justin Morneau, under the thinking that Minnesota could trade him and use that money to re-sign Joe Mauer.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote