View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 03:03 AM   #335
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
As long as it gets all you Boston fools away from drooling over Prince Fielder

Or I suppose that's David Ortiz's replacement, no?
Pretty much. Let us know when he gets too expensive/too big for 1B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
that's legit about lowell's hip. but i wasn't thinking they'd keep him there. it'd be more likely they'd move youk there and move lowell to 1B, or acquire a 1B thru a trade or something else. just saying historically-speaking Beltre hasn't been loads better defensively than Lowell.
Yeah, but 2004 Mike Lowell would be a huge improvement over 2009/10 Mike Lowell. It's not his fault age finally caught up with him, but I'd say it's pretty obvious if we sign Scutaro and Beltre while letting Bay go that we're building more heavily around defense and pitching than the past couple years.
Quote:
Interesting about safeco killing beltre's power. If he does have a "fenway" type swing he could definately benefit from the monster, that's for sure
Beltre career road split: .287 avg .338 OBP .488 SLG .826 OPS
Lowell career road split: .276 avg .331 OBP .382 SLG .713 OPS

At some point it's less about "having a Fenway" swing and more about not being a black hole on the road. Our offense often disappeared on the road, Mike Lowell had the biggest splits, and it's a large part of why we had the 3rd biggest home/road split in the majors (after Tampa and weirdly Pittsburgh). If not Beltre, Nick Johnson is another FA that the RS have tried to acquire in the past. (And of course, the deal may not be done - tbh it doesn't make much sense from Texas' perspective.)

Last edited by BishopMVP : 12-11-2009 at 03:06 AM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote