View Single Post
Old 12-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #301
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
It depends on just how highly he is being rated. I think his ceiling is a #2/3. His dominant numbers have come in large part because of great command, which is obviously fantastic, but has less projectability and regresses some at the higher levels like Bowden has. So he is a great prospect, and probably deserves to be around #50 in the minors, but if he's being put up in the top 20 and talked about as a future ace his value is likely to never be higher (see Lars Anderson last offseason). He's also a pitching prospect in single A - TNSTAAP and all. There's a reason why Westmoreland is the one untouchable in the system and Buchholz is the pitcher Toronto asked for first. I'm not even sure Kelly deserves to be higher than Reddick, Lars, Bowden or Kalish, but people tend to get enamored of the newest shiny thing (helloooooo Jose Iglesias!).

Fair enough. #50 is about where I'd rate him, he's too far away to say he's a huge prospect at this point. I am excited for what he did in A ball at a young age but he's far from golden for sure. A little surprised that you'd see Reddick or (especially) Bowden above him, though.