View Single Post
Old 12-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #300
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
In a completely non-snarky way I am interested in how you've developed this opinion.
It depends on just how highly he is being rated. I think his ceiling is a #2/3. His dominant numbers have come in large part because of great command, which is obviously fantastic, but has less projectability and regresses some at the higher levels like Bowden has. So he is a great prospect, and probably deserves to be around #50 in the minors, but if he's being put up in the top 20 and talked about as a future ace his value is likely to never be higher (see Lars Anderson last offseason). He's also a pitching prospect in single A - TNSTAAP and all. There's a reason why Westmoreland is the one untouchable in the system and Buchholz is the pitcher Toronto asked for first. I'm not even sure Kelly deserves to be higher than Reddick, Lars, Bowden or Kalish, but people tend to get enamored of the newest shiny thing (helloooooo Jose Iglesias!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
*sigh* Apparently the Sox interest in Beltre is "significant."

Lord save us all.
Beltre would be fantastic between his defense, home/road splits, and Type B status.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I would do that, especially if the Angels got clearance to work otu an extension with him first (not sure if that's in the cards).
I don't get the reluctance of Toronto to offer a 72-hour window to negotiate an extension. Unless they think Halladay will be outrageous in his demands and scare off suitors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Yeah thanks for the stats. I stand corrected on their ages. Coco plays like a 33 year old at times. Heredia is a high risk high reward guy and Crisp is well a guy that wasn't good enough to keep a few years ago what has changed. On the bright side when you finish up school you will have a great future as a VP with the Sox rationalizing all the weird transactions Epstein makes for the fan bases consumption.
Shurg. Talk about Heredia as a mid-30's washed up player, keep insisting Coco - who has made a living the past few years sacrificing his body and playing great defense - plays like a 33y/o. I can see why fans are pissed if we're not going after one of the two proven stud LF'ers on the market and going with a platoon - like you said we got rid of Coco because he wasn't good enough for that role 2 years ago (and we got a decent reliever) - but at least don't get your facts completely wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Of course I've been looking at Harden through Brewers lenses. The Brewers had one of the worst starting staffs in the league last year, if not the worst. I thought signing a guy like Randy Wolf was much preferred to signing a guy like Harden. Wolf won't put up dazzling numbers like Harden has the potential to do, but at the same time Wolf is no slouch.

I've considered myself a stats guy for a long time but people keep throwing me these projections that Wolf and Harden will end up with the same WAR even though Harden projects to throw a lot less innings than Wolf because Harden's work will be higher quality. But I keep throwing out the fact that Harden on average is a 5-6 inning pitcher and and will tax the bullpen tremendously. Does WAR take that into account?
I think the value of Harden depends on the team and you're correct from a Brewers perspective. The Red Sox (or other big market clubs) are used to having 6-7 starters ready to go and expecting guys to go on the DL during the year, so it's worth the risk/reward. Meanwhile the Brewers can't afford to be wrong and should take the guy who projects to pitch 200+ innings and hope he turns in a Javier Vasquez season.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 12-10-2009 at 12:48 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote