View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 11:37 AM   #190
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Option is $6 team, $3 player, $1.5 buyout.

Ambivalent, moving to pleased if this means they go after more Type-As.

Hmm, methinks you guys are overthinking the Type A stuff. I don't think the Red Sox care that much about that when it comes to the big time free agents. If a Lackey or a Holliday want to come, no draft pick is going to stop the Sox from offering them a deal. Signing Scutaro doesn't really change that.

If anything, Scutaro isn't the precursor to anything; it's the aftermath. Scutaro, being a Type A, is the result of the Wagner signing. Knowing they were receiving an even better pick from the Braves, the Red Sox cared less that they dealt away their top pick with the Scutaro signing (which they probably are going to give up anyway because of an actual major Type A signing).

I do think the Scutaro signing indicates the Red Sox aren't going to go after Gonzalez or Halladay. You could sign a guy who does at least in the ballpark of what Scutaro does but not a Type A, so signing Scutaro shows a lack of concern about farm depth. Which tells me the Red Sox don't think they're going to pull off a Gonzalez or Halladay deal, because that would impact their farm depth. If they thought a deal was remotely likely, they would be more picky with their picks.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote