View Single Post
Old 11-28-2009, 11:27 PM   #484
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Thrashers score five goals in the third to beat Carolina 6-4. Yeah, I know the 'Canes are bad but usually Atlanta just rolls over in cases like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz View Post
Quite the third period collapse by Carolina again tonight, as Buffalo scores five in the last twenty minutes to win going away. Miller's save on Brind'Amour in the second period may just be the best save of the year.

First two periods last two games: Carolina 5, opponents 1.
Third period last two games: Opponents 10, Carolina 0.

It's not even that they're getting five-spots hung on them. It's that it takes just one goal and for whatever reason, everything just collapses on Carolina. Mentally they just fall apart. Yes, Miller was on his game tonight, but he wasn't in the attacking zone when Carolina gave up all those goals.

I'm beginning to wonder whether this team will rival or even "better" the 2002-03 team that finished with 61 points and finished DFL. It certainly has some common elements: a surprising playoff run from the prior year is rewarded by maintaining a core of older players, some pieces are added, others lost or given up. I think there's another common element, but I just can't quite think of it...something about the coaching staff.... Anyway, that team also had problems with injuries to key players and was rather self-destructive, but never on this scale (14 Ls in a row, granted those are OT/SO aided) and never this soon (that Carolina team imploded after the New Year).

Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote